Thursday, January 27, 2011

Reading

I just finished reading a few books.
1. Jane Eyre -- read it once a long time ago. This time it was entirely different, because I read it as an adult! It was amazing to me how well the author painted a picture of the time and place in England. I could really feel like I was there. What a great romantic novel.
2. Life, Love and a Polar Bear Tattoo by Heather Wardell -- This is definitely a modern romantic novel. It is set in Canada. It was pretty easy, light reading. It did really address the question of how we make decisions and what makes us the way we are. Good read.
3. The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum -- This is the author of the Wizard of Oz. He did an excellent job of creating a believable Santa. What a fun story for Christmas time.
4. The Christmas Chronicles: The legend of Santa Claus by Tim Slover. This is also a fun read. I received this book from Tovi this Christmas. It is also a very good story of the history of Santa Claus. It is not at all the way my mother told the story.
5. Fairy Tales Every Child Should Read. by Hamilton Wright. -- This is a lot of fun, some really good tales.
6. Life of Pi by Tann Martel -- Interesting but I got bored and never finished it.
7. Princess Academy by Shannon Hale -- This is a really good book. One that I will probably read a few more times. It is so good in so many ways. You really believe that it is from the true world.
8. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built: The New No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Novel by Alexander McCall Smith -- I have really enjoyed this series. It is about life in Africa, from a woman's perspective. It is a really fun and easy series to read. Lots of comments about life!
9. Peculiar in a Good Way by Mary Ellen Edmunds -- This excellent audio book is read by the author. She is one of my favorites. She is a nurse from BYU and is an excellent speaker. She talks about being better than we are without feeling guilty or becoming overzealous. The is a good book to listen to while you finish a project ....... like crocheting, or filing your fingernails!

1 comment:

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

I loved the Princess Academy. Such a cute book! You should also read the Goose Girl books by Shannon Hale. They are great.